Thursday, July 9, 2009

Three Cups of Tea

I just read:


With the first cup of tea you are a stranger.
With the second...a friend

With the third cup of tea, you are family


"That day, Haji Ali taught me the most important lesson I've ever learned in my life," Greg said. "We Americans think you have to accomplish everything quickly. ...Haji Ali taught me to share three cups of tea, to slow down and make building relationships as important as building projects. He taught me that I had more to learn from the people I work with than I could ever hope to teach them."

- Greg Mortenson -
(
my emphasis added)



4 comments:

warriormom said...

I just finished the original - not the young reader's addition, amazing and challenging and convicting.

Courtney at SL's No Ennui said...

I am 2/3 finished with the original. So glad they've made a YA version! I will have to check it out. The original is a little drawn-out. But so so worth it. He's such a unique man. Great book to post about. I hope everyone reads it. Mortenson's stamina and drive and SACRIFICE is such a testimony.

MYstory of HIStory said...

- funny you mentioned that bc I was talking to my daughter today - explaining that it seems I'm more drawn to young adult books these days.... sometimes I want to know the story ...but not necessarily ALL the details :)

Randi Sue said...

I'd like to read that.