Sunday, July 19, 2009

This tired old house part 3 (kitchen)

One thing I liked about our home when we bought it was the kitchen/dining/family room are all one BIG room - hard to find in older/less expensive homes. Whitewashed most of the wall cabinets inside & out - inside was an icky creamy color - ugh - white paint made a big difference!

...& a fun change here -
bright red in a couple cabinets where we keep our dishes...


another angle - The TV swivels out/can be viewed
from the kitchen &/or dining room. The counter top doubles
as a nice BIG desk for Strike to do her homeschooling - esp. when she uses DVDs

not thrilled about the trash can (above) there
but it beats under the sink where it gets overshot too often :)

Removed cabinet doors (below)/
painted inside red/
filled w/ fun stuff from around the house :)
& lighted it up!


The plaque (above) reads:
I chose the road less traveled... Now where the heck am I?

& the ducks are a quiet reminder to:
See no evil. Hear no evil. Speak no evil :)

***

Fun drawer pulls (below) we already had there...



& painted the inside of the drawers red too...




Aprx cost(s):

Cabinet Lighting $10
Red paint - $4 (clearance!)
White paint (leftover) & supplies $10
cup hooks - $2

Total: $20 - $25

3 comments:

Mug said...

I'm loving it! Never thought about painting the insides of my drawers (or cabinets) ....Great idea!
Ahhh....Homeschoolin'....Good for you! We (I) homeschooled our children for two years....afterwhich they and I became a part of a small private school. Ended up teaching my daughter's 7th, 8th, and 9th grade English classes...AND a high school drama class with her in it:)

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Wow! These makeovers are great! You have such great taste, I'd never have thought to paint the insides red, and they look great!
What a neat kitchen!

I love the Pyrex coffee pot - my mom still uses hers every day, and the coffee is mmm, mmm, good.

MYstory of HIStory said...

Ha! funny you should spy that percolator. It does make a delicious cuppa! We had an incredible ice storm here this winter & went w/o power for the major part of 8 days. We got out our camping percolator & I was hooked on perked coffee after that & found this one on e-bay ... it's an oldie but a goodie :)