Monday, July 13, 2009

$$ Cold Hard Cash $$

10 Whoever loves money never has money enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with his income. This too is meaningless. 11 As goods increase, so do those who consume them. And what benefit are they to the owner except to feast his eyes on them?

Ecclesiastes 5:10 - 11



When I see & feel the cold hard cash I'm spending (as opposed to swiping the plastic) I tend to be much more frugal. Toward that end, my husband & I have agreed not to use our debit card (& we rarely use a credit card) for daily non-essentials & instead set aside a certain amount of CASH each week to spend on "extras" - things we don't REALLY need ...eating out, home decor, entertainment, "toys", etc. Whatever we don't spend we can carry over to save up for something bigger/special/unexpected...etc. The bank/ATM will likely become our first stop after church on Sunday evenings - as it was last night - to get the cash for the week.

And - I've decided to save my loose change by collecting it in a Rainy Day Fund jar that Strike painted for me a while back ... in the past I've been amazed at how quickly it adds up!

Normally I rarely use cash - so this will be different for me...challenging - but already I'm kind of enjoying it & I do find myself thinking/feeling differently about spending & the way I feel (stingy!) means saving is likely to come more naturally :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have been dong that for a while with my grocery and gas money. It can be a bit inconvenient, but I do save money.