Friday, July 17, 2009

This tired old house...

that's about 50 years old....is getting some much needed TLC on the inside. We did it! 4 rooms in 10 days - if I counted right -- the days are a blur as I've been SO busy! And we're going to try for 5 rooms in 2 weeks bc we ended up repainting the living room instead of the master bath this weekend.

MASTER BEDROOM

Before

... it was only slightly different from this by the time I tackled it last week:


After



The "twigs" in the corner are actually covered w/
teeny tiny "built in" white lights & make a great nightlight...



I recycled my kitchen cabinet doors
for this look on top of my armoire

I'm so pleased w/ how this turned out. Simple. Lighter/Brighter & a tad western/Americana

Aprx Costs (I'm tryin' to stay close to $500 total for 5 rooms!)

- My big splurge: Quilt & comforter set (comforter set not shown but you can see the comforter here - is black & off-white big check print on one side & black w/ a subtle off white floral pattern on the other - which I plan to use in the winter for a totally new & cozy look ... should be nice and warm too! $270

- Red throw blanket $10 (clearance 75% off :)

- Paint(Used leftover) & supplies aprx $20

- 3 deep red rugs for winter ... $50

- Lamphade - $10

- Recycled All the "decorations" from around the house. The window shades were already there - feaux suede - great(!) for blocking out the light.

This was by far the most expensive room bc of the comforter & quilt - Aprx $350 total. It may seem like a lot of my $500 budget but believe it or not, I think I'll come pretty close!

More to come.

3 comments:

Courtney at SL's No Ennui said...

Did you make your "night light" on the nightstand? I love it! I wonder if I could do something similar... I love the clean style here in your bedroom. It's seems like a great room to unwind in.

Courtney at SL's No Ennui said...

Oh, and where did you get your bedroom suite? I love the wardrobe. My husband and I have talked about getting or building something similar. And that looks like a design we could agree on!

MYstory of HIStory said...

Hi! Thank you! :) The nightlight stand was white - I painted it burgundy for this redo. Found the shade on e-bay - someone may have just covered one w/ material to make it - no sewing. You could certainly do it! The "twigs/nightlight" is actually sitting on the floor in a rustic pottery vase & I got both at Michaels for something else a while back.

The bedroom suite we've had for years & it's not really not a set The bed frame - Salvation Army(!)brand new/unfinished. The "canvas"/linen(?)wardrobe was from Crate & Barrel in Portland, OR years ago - I've never tired of it - again, you could probably do that too since you sew & are crafty. If you want more detailed pics of the construction I can send them to you...it's very simple slat shelves covered w/ material. The dresser & armoire are from a store in OR called Fred Meyer.