Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Kissing the War Goodbye

via

I love WWII history & memorabilia ... not the war(!) but how our country united in a common cause & how God guided & preserved our nation during that time.

This pic was taken the day the Japanese surrendured - V-J Day, August 14, 1945 & was published in the New York Times & a repro now hangs in our home. It reminds me of my husband (who was in the Navy when we were first married) & I. Can't tell you how many times we kissed hello :) & goodbye :( on the pier in front of the USS Constellation.

This past weekend the 4th of July parade we attended in Bristol had a float & supposedly the two people in the pic were on it too (apparently several have laid claim to be them?!). There was an article in Bristol's local newspaper about them & the man is now in his 80's.



more info can be found here

Just tho't it was neat...ironic & iconic :)

2 comments:

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hi!
Thanks for leaving your comment on my blog yesterday. I also have always been fascinated by WWII. I grew up watching old movies like "The Glen Miller Story" and the Abbott and Costello movie that featured the Andrews Sisters singing Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy :)
You might enjoy the book "Our Mothers' War" by Emily Yellin. Your local library may be able to get it on loan for you. It's a thorough look at how American women participated both at home and overseas, and shows how strong women really were during that time.
You've got a great blog. I'll be checking in to see what you're up to.
I hope you enjoyed your trip to VT! That's my old stomping grounds!
All the best,
Carol

Randi Sue said...

I would have probably cried. I always cry at parades.