Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Morning Glory

For God, who said, "Let light shine out of darkness," made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ.
2 Corninthians 4:6



Yesterday, Playmaker (15) & I visited a dear friend from church - who is now in a nursing home - after much too much time passed since the last time I saw her. I'll call her Morning Glory. She reminds me so much of my mom - even has the same b-day! (edit: oops just learned it's actually 2 days later...how could I forget that?! mb it was the same year? hmm) I'll Her friendship has been a special gift (blessing!) from God. My mom was my own personal prayer warrior & when I lost her, among other things, I missed that! In the past I've asked Morning Glory to pray for my daughter & she was glad to do it. Morning Glory has been almost blind since I've known her but has such a positive attitude despite her increasing limitations & she's so at peace & will tell you so - almost as if she wants to put your mind at ease :) And she'll tell you about how good God has been to her & what a good life she's had. She senses The LORD so very close. And I hafta say -- just knowing that He's there - SO close to her - makes me wanna go back very soon - in part bc I wanna be that close too(!) & in part bc I wonder ... if He's that close, is He getting ready to take her home? It's very special, what she & God share. But - apparently I'm not the only one she reminds of my mom. Playmaker "saw her Gramma" there in that bed & as memories flooded her mind, tears poured out -- so we didn't stay long - didn't want Morning Glory to know Playmaker was crying - afterall we came to cheer her up! But I bro't home these words of wisdom she shared during our short but good visit... to the effect:

If you worry, you don't trust God.
If you trust God, you don't worry.


... and I can't help but wonder if that's the bottom line that God wants us to figure out once we've accepted (trusted!) Him as our Savior & by the time we leave this amazing place - & is it why Morning Glory seems so ready to leave whenever God decides He's ready to take her home? ... and is it why I feel like.... I still have so much to learn!?

But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
Matthew 6:33 & 34

4 comments:

Courtney at SL's No Ennui said...

This made me think of the story of The Loaves and the Fishes-- that's my "don't worry" analogy! God will multiply what, in our eyes, seems so inadequate and make it not merely "good enough" but FULFILLING in every Good and Wholesome way.... thank you for the story about Morning Glory! I will add her character sketch that you have so gracefully offered to my "Loaves and the Fishes" file!

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Aha! Your post brings full meaning to the sign I've been passing this week. A local church puts a new saying up regularly, this time it says:
"If we have time to worry, then we have time to pray."
Once you added the word "trust", it all made sense.
Thank you!

Mug said...

In Psalms, it says,
"Fret not, for it tendeth only to evildoing."
How true...when we (I) fret & worry, we take our eyes off of Jesus and focus on whatever is "fretting" and worrying us, and all of this fretting and worrying leads us into saying, thinking, or doing things we sometimes regret.

In his book PRACTICING THE PRESENCE OF GOD, Brother Lawrence stresses the fact that in everything and always we need to "practice" the presence of God....to "practice" always talking to Him, sharing our thoughts and daily duties with him...Practice his presence....
It sounds like that is exactly what lovely Ms. Morning Glory does...she "practices His presence":)

MYstory of HIStory said...

Thx for sharing ladies!

Farmgal- given your comment re: prayer/trust, etc. & our "dance discussion" - I think you'd enjoy Mug's (below) post (yesterday) "As We Dance Through Life".