Wednesday, April 29, 2009

I've been working on this assignment since high school!

In a high school science class I was challenged to define "life" ....& I haven't stopped trying since! It sounds simple - but it's NOT. Dictionary.com has 25 definitions for the noun & 36 when you include various other forms of the word!

Some, if not many, living things grow, breathe, reproduce, adapt, consume, produce, & metabolize. One might assume that all living things do at least some of those things (tho' how many are needed to "qualify" something as "alive" is debatable) ....unless the wood frog in mid winter is alive! ... tho' for months its heart stops(!) beating, ALL breathing & brain activity cease(!) & it freezes solid - yet, come spring - its heart begins beating again, it begins breathing again & its brain registers new activity. So how does one know when it's dead?!

... And - by some definitions fire is alive...as it grows & consumes...!


If/when you define life, please explain what living is as opposed to dying. That should keep you busy - for at least a lifetime. But -- when you're done, & assuming I'm still alive... please let me know, bc I could really use some help!

P.S.

Reference material that will prove helpful: You should find at least 589 clues in The Bible ... as I just did a quick search at Biblegateway.com which indicates that's how many times the word "life" is used in the NIV -- & you might want to check out what Creation has to offer on the subject as well...

John 11:25-26 25Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; 26and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?"

No comments: