Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Shack - continued...

Went shopping w/ a friend yesterday & ended up discussing The Shack much of the time - just kept coming back to it over & over. And I've fielded comments on my blog re: my last post & via e-mail & phone - & even before I read the book it generated much discussion w/ others - esp. those in my book group -- as we agreed to read it next - but I kept procrastinating bc I wasn't sure I wanted to or should & I almost bailed on them - but now I'm looking forward to our next mtg :) I've not enjoyed this much "below the surface" dialogue w/ others in a long time - & given that Christianity is relationship(!) as opposed to religion - I think that's a good thing!

It's thought provoking
... but thoughts are exactly what need to be provoked before a conversation (relationship?!) can even begin. I wish(!) the Bible prompted this same level of interest & holy curiosity but perhaps it doesn't bc so many avoid it - as I did for a time w/ both the Bible & more recently w/ The Shack. One BIG difference I see between God's Word & The Shack is that God's Word is Truth! The Shack is fiction(!) that prompts its readers to consider things they'd typically avoid, intentionally or unintentionally, & in some cases...like the plague.

If those who haven't read the Bible would just read it(!) for themselves & if those who only read the Bible to "find God" would just try looking for Him in other places as well, I hafta think the world would be a much different/better place.

"You might see me in a piece of art, or music, or silence, or through people, or in Creation, or in your joy & sorrow. My ability to communicate is limitless, living & transforming, & it will always be tuned to Papa's goodness & love. And you will hear & see me in the Bible in fresh ways. Just don't look for rules and principles; look for relationship -- a way of coming to be with us."

2 comments:

dswenor said...

i THINK I AM GOING TO RE READ THIS BOOK BEFORE OUR NEXT MTG.

Susan said...

I really enjoyed the book. It caused me to think differently about God, in a more personal way, which to me is beneficial. I honestly do not get the controversy. I haven't heard details about the opposition, just that there is much opposition. I don't get why?