Monday, March 16, 2009

Relationship(s) for Dummies?

Went to B&N the other night & saw quite the spread of yellow & black books - written specifically for dummies! - & I admit - I must be a dummy(!) bc I own the "ENGLISH GRAMMAR WORKBOOK for DUMMIES"! - & could probably stand to learn a lot from other books in the series! Yet - somehow I have managed to figure out..... that one stands to learn so much from & about others - by spending time w/ others ... talking w/ them & studying what they do ... writing, artwork, etc.

Given that God is both the Author AND Artist of His Word & Creation (Life!) - & that He has revealed Himself & how to live (eternally!) to us in both, I've been studying both His Word & His Works - together (key word here) - toward the "end" of knowing God better. Studying "this way", I realize creation provides beautiful illustrations of God's Word much like pictures illustrate a story - or an instruction manual - & it
reveals an elegant pattern (system of order & design!) - consistent & evident thru'out both God's Word & Creation - (microscopic to telescopic) & has allowed so much to make so much more sense - to me.

In addition to the sheer beauty inherent in all of creation, everything(!) God created serves a purpose by interacting to some degree w/ other aspects of His creation (relationship!). Given that "relationship" (w/ God & each other) is also the consistent theme of God's Word - causes me to consider: a.) that the Designer (God!) must be extremely intelligent - & b.) perhaps everything God created & inspired He did so in order to "communicate relationship".

James 4:8a Come near to God and He will come near to you.

It makes sense to me! - but trying to explain it so it makes sense to someone else continues to prove challenging - that's where Language Arts/English Grammar(!) comes in ...& I feel so inept! (perhaps I should read that yellow & black book of mine :) - but - understanding this:

Romans 1:19 & 20 ...since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities - His eternal power and divine nature -- have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.

& this:

I Cor 1:18 (NIV)
For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

See John 3:16 - 21


...makes me kinda wish my Bible had a yellow & black cover! ... & gives me the freedom to humbly admit that by the grace of God(!) - I'm a "dummy"! ... yet, it seems I'm in good company (fellowship/relationships!) w/ others who are likeminded :)

1 comment:

Randi Sue said...

Good point!


I own organizing for dummies. I found some of it to be useful, but some of the ideas were just to obvious to be helpful.