Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Success = doing something - right!

Seems there's SO much complaining! & time spent trying to get someone else to "do something!!" Assuming the supply & demand principal applies here, there's a goldmine of opportunity in the plentiful supply of problems begging for solutions!

I want our children to be successful (who doesn't?!) so I'm encouraging them to buck the trend of creating problems & making things worse - by daring to be different & trying to make things better by solving problems! Since an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, I think my time will best be spent (invested!) emphasizing preventing problems in the first place - which boils down to consistently making good choices. Yet, I know often the most valuable lessons are learned from mistakes & in having to deal w/ the consequences of poor choices.

I faithfully encourage my kids to make good choices - but am less consistent to allow them to suffer the consequences & work thru' the problems they create, when they don't - even tho' I know if they don't, they're likely to continue making similar poor choices w/ more & more serious consequences - & to create BIG problems for themselves & others to deal w/ in the future. Perhaps I struggle here bc:

1) I see my children as a reflection of me - so I tend to try to fix their problems/make it all better (what mom's do best - right?) ASAP. In my mind, each problem solved represents a feather in my cap (success!) & unsolved problems reflect poorly on me as a parent (failure?) - so are too often kept neatly under wraps (pride!). and,

2) I end up suffering too when I allow my kids to suffer the consequences of their poor choices. Dealing w/ defiance, laziness, etc. (discipline!) is time consuming, draining & downright unpleasant! -- all things I'd rather avoid by taking the path of least resistance (selfishness).

Given that the true measure of success is in becoming more like Christ & the extent to which Christ humbled & sacrificed Himself for us bc of how much He loves us, causes me to consider how poorly I reflect Him. So - it seems if I'm more consistent to let my kids deal w/ the consequences of their poor choices & to work thru' the problems they create - & if indeed they rise to the challenge to become problem solvers - it's likely their measure of success will be in direct proportion to how much time/energy, etc. I'm willing to sacrifice & how humbled I'm willing to be (ie. how much more like Christ I'm willing to become - & how much I love them!) - in the process. (yikes!) So - I can only hope I'm doing something - right(!) bc any measure of success my kids &/or I make in that regard is likely to enable us to more accurately reflect Christ - & so to be well worth all that's required toward that end.


2 Corinthians 3:18 (NIV) "And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit."

No comments: