Monday, March 9, 2009

Sincerely, Martha

My yesterday (Sunday) went something like this... I knew I was having a house full of friends over. Got up early despite daylight savings time change!! - Cleaned my fridge(!), prepared food, tidied up the house...decided I'd be a bit late for church to get few more things done -- & the more I did, the more I saw that needed to be done!! - & I ended up missing AM church altogether ...tho my family went. But... I managed to make it in time for coffeetime afterwards bc hubby & I coordinate that & I was pretty sure the hosts would need some help (truth is they could've/would've done fine w/o me!) . On the way home I made sure my girls knew the laundry room was off limits(!!) for the day .... & ... we enjoyed a lovely time of food, fellowship & fun w/ our friends (& dear hubby took great delight in sarcastically showing off my nice clean fridge! - ugh...) Before we knew it some of us headed back to mtgs at church(!) ... before going to evening church. Are you exhausted yet? I was! So much so that I wished I'd stayed home!

"Funny" thing... the more I cleaned, the more frustrated I got w/ my family … wishing they cared more about the things I care about. I crave a sense of order – but realize the whole “control issue” is one I'd have been better to have handed over to God w/ the intent to manage my time better in the future.Also realize If I'd had my company - who is more like family(!) over, the way my house looked before I cleaned….I’d have been humbled to some degree … & that is probably why I should have just gone to church instead…(what better posture for worship than humility!? :)

I perplex myself … bc I also crave worship & rest - & even tho' opportunity for it is given on a silver (Sabbath) platter, I tend to decline it in the event that it competes w/ my reputation/control craving (Yikes - this is getting very personal!) By the end of the day, I knew I could not have gone wrong by choosing to rest & worship instead of to clean & cater - but - seems God wanted to drive home the point this AM as I read Nehemia 13 about how the nobles of Judah were rebuked for how they were desecrating the Sabbath. ... I tell ya - sometimes I feel so "set up!" ...but then... I also feel pretty special - to think that God cares enough about me - to take the time we spend together in the morning - to speak to me ... SO personally.

Praise God His strength is made perfect in my weakness....bc it's my only hope! :)

Sincerely,

"Martha"

1 comment:

Randi Sue said...

I feel pretty special in moments like those, too.