Thursday, March 19, 2009

I couldn't have taught her this...




Playmaker (age 14) drew this protrait of Carrie Underwood. She certainly didn't get this talent from me - nor could I have taught her to do this if I wanted to - & it causes me to consider how I've long known she likes to draw & that she draws well....but never really offered her much encouragement in that regard. Now that she's taking an Art class & is being challenged AND encouraged, as well as being given some direction/coaching, I'm stunned at what she's able to do - & grateful for the timely nudge this has given me in regards to her younger sister, Strike/Age 11 - who also enjoys & is good at drawing (she did the portrait of Nick Jonas) & could probably really benefit from both more encouragement & direction in the same regard. The encouragement I can & do intend to give her more of! The direction....well, I need to explore our options.

All of this has prompted me to consider not pushing my children so much to be & do what I want ... but to watch & look more closely at what they naturally do well & want to do better...& to encourage them more in those areas - bc chances are those are the very things God created them to do!

Ephesians 2:10 (NIV) For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

2 comments:

Susan said...

Very well done! Wow. I have really tried to focus on studying the girls and seeing what God's gifts to them are. Where do they shine? The oldest two are very creative and capable girls especially with yarn! So I don't hesitate to buy a ton of it. Or let them dig into the fabric bin.

Randi Sue said...

Wonderful! You do have some multitalented girls.