Wednesday, March 11, 2009

A Light Kindled - The Story of Priscilla Mullins

I recently saw my bloodlines traced in the form of a family tree - all the way back to the 1600's! I'm reminded of the Pilgrims - & of a book report w/ a twist of drama (Character Portrayal - below) my girls & I have presented on various occasions - based on A Light Kindled - The Story of Priscilla Mullins by Tracy Leininger, a homeschool grad!

We who are citizens of the USA have inherited such an incredible legacy from those who have gone before us. Consider:

Priscilla Mullins (Character Portrayal Script)

I'm Priscilla Mullins. I traveled to the New World on the Mayflower when I was 18.

As I looked back toward my beloved England, my father turned me around & showed me a splendid sunset. He reminded me that tho' we were leaving much behind, we were heading to a new home in a land that God would establish ... where we could worship Him freely & raise our families to follow Christ. His vision filled me w/ wonder & expectation.

It will be established for you; so light will shine on your ways. Job 22:28

I helped out on the ship by sewing, cooking & watching the younger children.

About a month into our journey, the main beam of the ship cracked! The Mayflower shuddered! Elder Brewster told the families to call on the LORD for His protection! The ship's cooper, John Alden, suggested a large printing press screw on board be used to reinforce the beam. It worked!!

Fear not, for I have redeemed you' I have called you by your name; you are Mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you...Isaiah 43:1b-2a

Finally we spotted the new world we had dreamed for years! God led us to an ideal place to settle w/ a sheltered bay, fresh water & fertile soil! We thanked God for safe arrival.

Many were sick when we arrived. The men soon built a common house & the weakest were bro't there. I helped care for the sick but soon I became very ill. While I was sick I awoke to smoke & people screaming! The common house was on fire!! I prayed for strength to move barrels of gunpowder before they exploded. The LORD's grace was sufficient & His strength was made perfect in my weakness. Soon I was well but my Father, Mother & brother became ill & died. I was so sad & lonely.

The Brewsters welcomed me into their home & family. We endured a long, hard winter w/ very little food.
All but four of the women died that first winter at Plymouth Plantation. But spring came - at last!

For lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone. The flowers appear on the earth, the time of singing has come...Song of Solomon 2:11-12a

The Mayflower sailed back to England. I could have sailed back too - but I chose to stay in the new world. In fact despite all the difficulties - hunger, illness, loneliness, & danger...ALL of the remaining pilgrims chose to remain at Plymouth.

After watching the Mayflower sail away, a glorious sunrise appeared.

So light will shine on your ways.

Soon John Alden & I were married. Over the next several years, Plymouth thrived - yet life in the New World was hard. But the LORD contined to prove faithful & I shared our story - & of God's faithfulness w/ our children.

The Aldens were blessed w/ 11 children who all embraced a personal faith in God - 69 grandchildren & nearly 500 great grandchildren! Today there are estimated to be over a million descendents from the Alden line - including author, Henry Wadsworh Longfellow, U.S. Presidents John Adams & John Quincy Adams - & former Vice President Dan Quayle.

2 comments:

Susan said...

We have all of her books. we love them. I'm so bummed because I have the Sacagawea one and it is packed. We just finished our unit on Lewis and Clark and I wanted to read it. You have no idea how many boxes marked books I have in the garage!

Randi Sue said...

Inspiring!