Thursday, December 3, 2009

Amazing Grace

As part of our Around the World in 180 Days class we're learning what a HUGE horrible blight slavery has been across the globe & throughout time. Just HUGE. I believe I heard somewhere (in one of the movies we viewed on the subject of slavery recently) - that at one time 3/4 of the earth's population was enslaved!? Anyhow - yesterday we watched Amazing Grace ... one of my all time FAVORITE movies about British Abolitionist William Wilburforce. I love, love, LOVE this movie & admire this man. It's also the story (to a lesser degree) of John Newton who was heavily involved in slave trafficking before realizing what a sin it was, repenting & becoming a minister & the author of the reknowned hymn, Amazing Grace.




And this (from the movie soundtrack) is one of two of my favorite renditions of the hymn Amazing Grace (The other is a rendition my daughter & her piano teacher composed together which I plan to post soon). So incredibly beautiful....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqJsBRFdrA0

7 comments:

Sharon Lovejoy said...

Ok, I'm going to rent this movie. And who doesn't love and resonate to Amazing Grace. It is hard for me to hear the song without immediately being flooded with emotion. Thanks for the tip.

My family was Quaker and involved in abolition (as we should all be world wide).

Peace,

Sharon

MYstory of HIStory said...

Thank you for stopping in to let me know you visited here, Sharon. I do think & hope you will enjoy the movie. Wow - what an interesting heritage your family has! I agree ... we should all be abolitionists.

Courtney at SL's No Ennui said...

I have not seen it! Thanks for this post... that will be a great movie to rent tomorrow night.

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

I recently learned that Spain and the Algiers would send pirates to ransack British and Irish villages, and bring back the villagers to use as slaves in the Mediterranean countries back in the 1600's.
We've traced our our family back to the Dutch who settled Manhatten and found a bit of piracy in the bloodline. (I'm afraid of deep water. Guess I wouldn't have made it as a swashbuckler!) :)

MYstory of HIStory said...

Hi Lupine...I'd be curious to know what you think of the movie after you've watched it.

Arggh (that's "pirate" for WOW!) Farmgal - you have an interesting family history as well! Very interesting indeed. Slavery has SUCH deep roots that many are unaware of - as I was unaware of what you shared here.

Randi Sue said...

I just watched this movie for the first time last week.

mom24boys said...

A favorite movie of mine too. Though it is one of those that I keep saying i am going to buy but haven't yet.