Sunday, August 2, 2009

Winter - brrr! ugh! - or - ahhh...UGG!


Scattering Lupines asked me to write about how to dress for the cold weather - as she recently moved from FL to NC. I hafta chuckle bc it seems that when people from here move, they almost always head that direction (South!) to that general vicinity - to get to a warmer climate :) So - chances are my suggestions will be overkill :)

In a nutshell: Wool/Sheepskin (there's no substitute!)

Tip - Merino wool is softer & less scratchy than most.

The Reader's Digest Version:

Ugg Boots, Roffeflex long underwear, wool socks, an all season jacket w/ removable liner, waterproof shell, hood ... & dress in layers w/ thin, warm, soft/comfortable base layer - sometimes called silkies or cuddleduds.

A brief expository (ie. details!)

Buy good quality winter wear - don't settle for knock off look a likes. My UGG Boots (aka my dear foul weather friends!) cost about $70 at half price 8 yrs ago! - mb that's where they got their name...but if that were the case shouldn't they be called Ugh!! Boots ?! -- Anyhow, I wear them most every winter day. They were made in New Zealand w/ real sheepskin (I think they're made in China now (another good reason they should be called Ugh!!! boots) so I'm not sure UGG is the brand to buy anymore....but I think the real sheepskin & a nice flexible sole is the key to warmth & comfort. Bear Paws might be a good & less expensive alternative now.

My Roffeflex long underwear (I'm not sure if they make it anymore either)...one pair cost aprx $60 (Ugh!) - which is why I only have one pair. I live in them all winter. What I love about them is that they're basically soft fleece lined lycra (oddly enough they are not wool) so they are very form fitting & smooth on the outside - easy to get your jeans over...not bulky whatsoever. I have some other stretchy fleece & it's warm too but not quite the same fit.

I have a love/hate relationship w/ gloves & hats. They are so cute but hats give you hathead & gloves are so cumbersome/annoying but you gotta have 'em here. The kind I like best have open fingertips that you can cover or uncover like a mitten as needed (aka when those fine motor skills come in so handy! :)

On my wishlist still is a real down comforter (So expensive - Ugh!) - but electric blankets are one (yet another) reason I believe I was born for such a time as this :)

I grew up in sunny Arizona & have been transplanted a few times but this is by far the coldest place I have ever lived & I don't think my blood ever did whatever it was supposed to do to help me adjust. My nose is cold & I shiver ALL winter long - But these few things plus most anything flannel help make winter less ugh-ly!/more enjoyable - for me anyhow :)

Whew ... all this talk about warm & wool is makin' me hot! (couldn't possibly be a hot flash could it?!) ... hmmm - perhaps I'll have some extra help keepin' warm this winter :) Believe me, there are days midwinter in New England when I would welcome one :)



4 comments:

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

You're on the spot with this advice. Dressing in layers is the key, and hats are a necessary evil.
I picked up a pair of "runner's gloves" for a dollar at Goodwill (brand new, still had original tags) and they're great for when I have errands to do and I'm just getting in and out of the car.

Randi Sue said...

I do not know how to dress in the cold, but that was a great lesson.

Courtney at SL's No Ennui said...

GREAT lesson! I feel ready to go thrift-shopping for some winter goods! I think I will invest in a pair of that long underwear. My husband is dreading the cold. He swears he's allergic to it, and I think I would have to agree with him. He gets sick EVERY time he is in below-50 weather, which luckily only happened in February in Alabama and Florida! Okay, I will let you know in the coming months how my cold preparation goes... THANK YOU FOR THE POST!!!!!!!

MYstory of HIStory said...

Your welcome :)