Friday, January 6, 2012

the joy dare ... a treasure hunt for twenty-twelve


“The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field. 
Proverbs 13:44 (NIV)



Take the the Joy Dare. Isn’t that what Aristotle said– “We are what we repeatedly do.”
Then Christianity isn’t an act — but our faith is expressed only in our habits.




Remember the foreign (relatively speaking) language I set out to attempt to speak fluently a short while back? Well, the author of ...


click the pic




...that motivated me toward that end is offering up some timely encouragement to press on.  She dubs it The Joy Dare  - but I see it more as a treasure hunt of sorts  ...




onethousandgifts-januaryportrait
{Download to print here}



 Three gifts a day. 

So simple. 

 Just grab a notebook/journal/this planner/something/anything! to write on


and start

seeking AND finding

joy


in places 


you might never have thought 


to look! 

*
***
*


You don't hear it spoken much in our day and age where 

"Entitlement" is the native tongue.

There's Just. One. Word. you need to know:

Thank You 

("You" is capitalized for good reason)

But

  - it is important to note three things:

One 


 That word is 

entwined 

like a strand of three cords

with 

Grace and Joy.

Charis. Grace
Eucharisteo. Thanksgiving 
Chara. Joy

as if to 

commune-icate 

that it is 

impossible

 to have one without the other. 


Two


Eucharisteo is a means of

commune-icating with God.

For some

 this may be intimidating at first.


Three

*
***
Rejoice 
always; 
pray 
without 
ceasing; 
in everything give thanks; 
for this
 is God's will
 for you
 in 
Christ 
Jesus.
emphasis
added

***
*

Mastery.

 This is the hard part

that might very well require

an entire lifetime of

 practice.

26 While they were eating,
 Jesus took bread, and when he had given thanks,
 he broke it and gave it to his disciples, saying, “Take and eat; this is my body.”
 27 Then he took a cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them, saying,
“Drink from it, all of you. 28 This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. 29 I tell you, I will not drink from this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father’s kingdom.”


*
***
*


If you decide to to join me on this treasure hunt thru' 2012 please let me know so I'll know I have a new traveling companion :)  The more the merrier!  Then head on over to


 A Holy Experience 


to join in with who knows how many others?! 


Still need a bit more motivation?


Well, here you have it! 


Our host (guide?!), Ann Voskamp, is offering those who successfully record 1000 gifts in 2012, the right to enter a drawing for this:


 cick the pic! 


*
***
*

The fears I’d been feeling, the overwhelmed and uncertain — Is every failure to experience joy because I made an excuse to not give thanks?

via




1 comment:

troutbirder said...

And I thank you for the kind words on behalf of my wifes recovery. She is doing very well now as evidenced by many signs, including back to giving me orders and directions on both domestic and nursing duties..... :)