Tuesday, January 3, 2012

planning ahead? what if....

edited a bit 



As I was making a few plans for this new year and considering how I hope 2012 will shape up based on the things I plan to do, I stumbled (sometimes it seems as if this is my main mode of transportation) on this:



“God is looking for people through whom He can do the impossible.
What a pity when we plan only the things we can do by ourselves.” -A.W. Tozer

It has God's "autograph" written all over it.  Relationship (with Him and others).

And I wonder....What if I made a few such plans to do some things that I couldn't possibly do by myself?  But I have a hard enough time making and following thru' with plans that I feel I will have some semblance of success in accomplishing on my own - let alone planning things for which I have to wait for and rely on God and/or others to do their part!  So, in regards to the quote above, immediately I do what I have a knack for doing. I take the most direct route possible to the worst case scenario by starting at "But, what if....." and heading south from there.  I don't get very far at all tho' before a Still Small Voice whispers that I have no good reason to go there and I'm reminded of how it seems in God's Word and from personal experience that God has custom made plans for His children. Even for those of us who don't step out in faith near enough. Plans that, when tossed from the hand of God into the daily mix of what is likely a much more comfortable and independent than God ever intended it to be life I've carved out for myself, will no doubt challenge and stretch and shape me into becoming more of who He created me to be. And I get the impression that God has a sense of humor - in that I can't help but chuckle at my next thought. That being, just that this always seems to happen  ... while I'm busy making other plans ;) 


  Many are the plans in a person’s heart, but it is the LORD’s purpose that prevails.

Proverbs 19:21(NIV)




1 comment:

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

It's so true! We like to make plans as if WE control our destiny...
I wonder what He would think if we made plans on a much larger, more spiritual scale?