Sunday, January 8, 2012

The Simple Woman's Daybook * 1-8-12





Please click the pic above to join with me and who knows how many others over at The Simple Woman's Day Book to journal once a day, week, month....whenever! :) 


Outside my window...It's dark & the moon is big and shining bright.

I am thinking...that this sheet music wreath is reeaally neat! - and simple enough that even I could make it.


I am thankful...that Strike was accepted into our local vocational-techinical high school. It is such a good fit for her. She's doing well there and has explored Welding, House Carpentry, Cabinet Making, Graphic Design, Business Tech, Cosmetology, Masonry, and Auto Body so far.  She's  brought home some impressive projects too ... an end table w/ magazine rack, wooden toolbox, metal tool box, etc. ... :) I'm anxious to see what trade she lands in.  If she has it her way, it will be Cosmetology.

I am creating...a quilt that must be finished by Friday...


and three of these...


My husband is helping me make them. He salvaged some wood and we hit the jackpot when we stopped into a discount store and found fun drawer knobs for $1 each. 

I'm going ... to make up some blessing bags to keep handy in my car. I looooove this idea! And  I'm wondering..."Why didn't I think of that?!".  Just today we passed someone I could have given one to - if only I had one with me :/   I'd love to tuck in a small Bible too...as it seems that so often when, for any number of reasons, people are so far down that they finally look up  ...  God reveals Himself.



I am reading...

Yes, it's a children's story :) 


I am looking forward to...going on at least 12 picnics in 2012.



I'm hoping ... That my son likes his birthday present. Something he is totally not expecting - but that I have a hunch he will really enjoy. Stay tuned  (there's a hint :) ... for further details. 

A few plans for the rest of the week ... I'm rather systematically working my way around the house - cleaning and purging about one or two cabinets, drawers, closets, etc. per day.  Just a few more to go in the kitchen before I can move on to another room.  

I am pondering...that Friday was Epiphany - and if someone hadn't told me, I wouldn't have known it. I've never regularly attended a church that observed occasions such as Lent and Epiphany.  Christmas and Easter we celebrate - but that's about it.  Yet I can't help but consider that in their purest form many, if not all, of the seemingly endless observances on the Christian calendar were likely initially intended to encourage Christians to keep their focus on Christ - on His goodness and faithfulness - amidst the continual change propelled by incessant immorality destined to unfold as countless rotations of the earth would relentlessly roll into revolutions around the sun. And - well...I can just appreciate the constant comfort that commemorating Christ would likely convey if I were to be a bit more consistent in that regard. 

A quote for today...

"God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our conscience, but shouts in our pains: it is His megaphone to rouse a deaf world." C.S. Lewis


In the kitchen... is one of my favorite things...


Jule's Gluten Free All Purpose Flour 




It can be substituted cup for cup in recipes that call for regular (wheat) flour.  
I love this stuff. If you didn't know you were eating something that was gluten free - well - you wouldn't know it :)  My first and only attempt at making homemade bread with it was a flop tho'  - but that can be challenging even with regular flour too. I learned that Jules also makes a special gluten free bread flour and I want to try that next.  Other than that tho', I am sooooo thrilled/pleased/tickled/giddy with excitement over this product! :)



1 comment:

troutbirder said...

Thank you so much for your kind words of concern for Mrs. T.s surgery. She read them all when she got home and is now recovering quickly. The oncologists were very very positive when we met with them today. Things are looking up. :)