Friday, June 19, 2009

Do you know what this is?


Question:
Do you know what this is?

via
Answer
: It's a vanilla orchid!

Question: Did you know that the vanilla orchid blooms for only one day a year & must be pollinated (often by hand) on that day.

Question: Do you know what this is?


Answer: It's the ingredients for homemade vanilla extract (below). Basically cheap alcohol & vanilla beans!


Cost ??: Aprx $3 per jar

My husband I made homemade vanilla for the first time tonight. SO simple! Fun too. I was inspired over here & ordered my Tahitian vanilla beans on e-bay here. I slit & placed three beans in each jar & filled them w/ heated vodka (the cheap stuff!) & a splash of rum. Now we just have to store them in a dark place & shake them every few days - & wait patiently for several weeks before using (that will be the hardest part!)

View a quick(!) tutorial here then try it! I think you'll like it :)

2 comments:

Susan said...

Hi--did you find Rebeca through me? Or somewhere else?

MYstory of HIStory said...

Hi Susan - I can't remember for sure how we first "met" ... if she found me thru you - or I found her thru you ...but either way I'm quite sure it was thru you - quite a while back