Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Give AND Take (ie. Do SOMETHING!)


Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit,
who is in you, whom you have received from God?
I Corinthians 6:19

This verse struck me in a fresh way yesterday as I was reminded of some fascinating parallels between the OT temple & the NT temple/our bodies (I'd love to do a study just on that sometime!). For one thing, both - at least in part - were created for worship(!) which involves give and take (relationship!), - & doing something.

Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—
this is your spiritual act of worship.
Romans 12:1

In our "microwave society" we have to choose to do something bc we've so effectively minimized the need to do anything!. There's an appliance, machine or someone else to do most everything for us - to the point that we can barely even entertain ourselves let alone take pride in a job well done!

For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works,
which God prepared in advance for us to do.
Ephesians 2:10

So whether you eat or drink or
whatever
you do, do it all for the glory of God.
I Corinthians 10:31 (my emphasis added)


S
hould it be of any surprise that our obsession w/ doing nothing has infiltrated the church & even our own/my(!) personal relationship w/ God? There's so much taking(!) - taking advantage of the grace He so freely gives - & so little giving (offering!) back to him in return.

Salvation concerns the sinner’s acceptance of the free gift of eternal life and the forgiveness of sins through faith alone. Discipleship concerns the believer’s response to the grace received by offering himself to God in submission, obedience, and sacrifice. In salvation, Christ paid the price; in discipleship, the believer pays the price. Therefore, salvation is free, but discipleship is costly. Because they are separate issues, there is no contradiction.
-- Dietrich Bonhoeffer
via*

Hmm...I wonder - if we were perfectly balanced (much less extreme in giving or taking) in our worship, would worship be more of a way of life - & would we be more apt to:

a. give of ourselves (serve) the church (Body of Christ) & others
b. take care of our physical bodies (Temple of the Holy Spirit)
c find ourselves in the center of God's perfect will (all of the above?!)


Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy,
to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God
—this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.
Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
Romans 12:1 AND 2 (my emphasis added)



**************

*Bunny - I've been mulling this quote over ever since you posted it the other day. Thanks for sharing!

Scriptures quoted from NIV

2 comments:

Bunny Wilson said...

Every time I read the words "do something" I think back to Francis Chan's "Crazy Love" and Tom Davis' "Red Letters."

I was brought up in church so my salvation was almost a natural organic happening (I don't mean that to sound spacey/odd - my salvation was a sensible next step in my upbringing).

But, we hopefully grow to realize that to "do" means to obey...and then life is never the same, praise God!

MYstory of HIStory said...

Someone recently gave that book "Crazy Love" to my husband...Now I want to read it...I"m heading out to my daughter's flute lesson & I think I'll bring it along :) Thanks for sharing!