Friday, June 12, 2009

Sad - but "this" is what I need right now


It's sad that a book designed to help you pray more (& more effectively!) - in just 10 minutes a day (ugh) - is exactly what I need right now...

I've said before that if I spent as much time praying as I do thinking about how much more I should be praying, my prayer life would be much more time consuming! All I know is my prayer life needs to be much more than it is.

I'm revisiting this book that's been sitting idol for too long - by placing it front & center on my desk w/ the intent of getting my prayer life on track over the summer. It was written w/ me - (a busy mom!) in mind - as a structured 20 day (5 days a wk) prayer "cycle" that covers six daily categories (Praise, Self, Husband, Children, Personal Influences, Reaching Beyond) w/ a specific focus for each category each day. It encouarges prayer journaling & it includes applicable scriptures - which I love bc I'm convinced there is power in speaking the Word of God as you pray.

I wish prayer wasn't something that so easily gets pushed aside in my busy schedule - in much the same way this book at times gets pushed aside in my office. I'm really looking forward to spending more time in prayer bc I know the time it consumes will be well spent & precious. And - hopefully as I try to pray more faithfully "this (structured) way", it will become more natural to spend more time in prayer & my prayer life will be more of what it should be w/o me having to try so hard!

James 5:16b (NIV) ...The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.

No comments: