Thursday, June 4, 2009

The contents of this box are classified


In Science Strike has learned about the classification system used to define, identify & better understand natural objects by sorting them into the three kingdoms: Mineral, Plant, & Animal. The incredible order & intricate patterns(design!) displayed thru'out nature never cease to amaze me.


Yesterday, as Strike's science book touched on classification systems, I seized the opportunity to remind her of something I learned alongside her a while back when I was struck by the fact that that no matter how hard man tries to understand nature by creating "boxes" (Kingdom,Phylum, Class, Family) to sort it all out, there are exceptions that don't quite fit right into any of the boxes. One ex. is the platypus (study it & learn why - it's pretty interesting!)

Perhaps what struck me most is that often people try to understand the Creator in a very similar way that they attempt to understand His Creation - by first "putting Him (God) in a box" that's just the right size to fit whatever it is they want Him to be - or only as big as they are able to comprehend. Don't they realize that by trying to do this they're actually attempting to make Him into something less than who & what He is? ... & He'll never fit!?

I've said before that I believe the nature of the Creator is revealed in His creation (nature!)...

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,"
declares the LORD.

"As the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.

No comments: