Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Rules (a book report)


I'm suffering from writer's block - so figured I'd write about something someone else has written. I liked & recommend this book - a quick "middleschool" read - so I don't want to say too much for fear of giving too much away - but - in a nutshell, it's about a girl who has an autistic brother & how she struggles socially bc she loves him but is also embarrassed by some of his strange behaviors & she isolates herself to some degree bc of him.

Her brother functions best w/ "black & white" rules. She keeps a list of rules she teaches him as they go (ie. if the bathroom door is closed, knock (especially if Catherine has a friend over)! -- She also befriends a boy w/ an altogether different kind of disability & as she helps him they both end up learning from each other.

I wish I could not relate as well as I do to the main character - but I can't help it - I just do (having grown up w/ a brother who had Downs Syndrome).

I'm glad my dd is reading this book too - but I realize some things can't be learned simply by reading a book .... it's likely she'll be inspired by this book to
want to be compassionate - but in order to actually be compassionate will require good role models, practice - & therefore opportunities to practice (ie. be learned the hard way) ...& "here" is where I'm feeling a bit convicted this morning ....

No comments: