Saturday, February 7, 2009

The ART is ..... not to compromise

"We're challenged to either confront culture,
to abandon it - or to transform it."
Gordon Pennington, The Truth Project

Got to thinking re: my last post ... I realize as time goes on, opportunity for ministry (worship?) to be what I believe it was intended to be (enjoyable!) will become less & less & less.

Romans 12:1 Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship.

In much of the world people have already long suffered & are forced to sacrifice even their lives to fulfill Romans 12:1. But - that's not the case here..
.yet! What others are forced to do at great risk, we still have the freedom to do - & I can't help but wonder how different things would be if we/I/the church in general had seized more opportunities for ministry in much the same creative way & with the same pleasure I sense God enjoyed when He revealed Himself to us in His Creation & His Word. Something tells me ministry would be much more enjoyable and the church would be much more attractive! Unfortunately I believe we are where we are, in large part because the church has abandoned the culture. I'm not sure why that is, except perhaps because of the selfish (twisted!) emphasis on the arts to creatively express who we are - rather than who God is- & who we are/others can be because of Christ. But - I think we should exercise the freedom (of expression!) we have in Christ & still have in our country - creatively & with great pleasure (as I get the impression God originally did) when opportunities present themselves.

The art is....not to compromise.


No comments: