Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Like sand slips thru' the hourglass...


"Any person without self control is either an accident looking for a place to happen
or a slave in chains."
Beth Moore - Living Beyond Yourself

***

My kids are still YOUNG & RESTLESS & when I consider the "why" behind why it's so important to me that ALL MY CHILDREN make good choices, I realize that AS THE WORLD TURNS, often it's bc I'm too concerned about how their poor choices (lack of self control) reflect on me.

I believe the difference between a good choice & a bad one lies in the "why" (motive) behind it - & that parenting is every bit as much about making good choices as it is about encouraging our kids to do the same.

When I demand certain behavior from my kids - or don't allow them to suffer the consequences of their poor choices - bc I'm too concerned about what others will think of me, my kids see right thru' it to the motive of my heart & so are more likely to rebel (the negative consequence of my poor choice - ugh.)

We all have only ONE LIFE TO LIVE! And sooo - I hope & pray that ALL MY CHILDREN ultimately choose for themselves to look to the GUIDING LIGHT (John 8:12) & make their choices accordingly so that their story (testimony!) becomes a BOLD & BEAUTIFUL one that is more about His faithfulness to them - & less about their unfaithfulness to Him - bc ...

like sands slip thru' the hourglass (one choice at a time!),
- so are THE DAYS OF OUR LIVES.


12When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
John 8:12

1 Return, O Israel, to the LORD your God. Your sins have been your downfall! 2 Take words with you and return to the LORD. Say to him: "Forgive all our sins and receive us graciously, that we may offer the fruit of our lips. Hosea 14:1 -2

***

P.S. if you like drama(!), read Samson's story ( Judges 13 - 16). It's basically a soap opera based on his continual lack of self control (poor choices!) until the very end of his life when he'd lost his supernatural strength, been taken captive & had his eyes gouged out! Broken/humbled(!), he finally cried out & asked God to supply him w/the strength he'd lost (admitted he needed God(!) bc God was the source of his strength?) .

God ordained Samson's dedication to Him as a lifelong Nazarite before his conception - which meant Samson was subject to a life of strict discipline (self control!): NO hair cut, fruit of the vine or contact w/ a dead body. And I wonder .... Did Samson continually rebel bc he didn't have a choice in this matter? Hmm...


2 comments:

warriormom said...

Very clever post! How witty!! I was listenting to On Point on WBUR this morning and they were talking about delayed gratification and self control. Very interesting and sort of ties in with your thoughts about choices. http://www.onpointradio.org/2009/05/impulse-thrift-and-self-control

MYstory of HIStory said...

Interesting!....thanks for sharing.