Tuesday, May 5, 2009

I'm a softy when it comes to playing hardball

Softball (sports in general!) has provided SO many opportunities to build character in my kids in ways that I'm hardpressed to do as effectively any other way - bc too often I'm too soft when it comes to teaching the hard lessons of life (ie. the ones learned best from failure & mistakes ...& hard work!). Tough love does not come easy for me. On the flip side - at least I realize that(!) & sooo - I encouarge my kids to play sports!

Competition seems to be the key to unlocking the passion that drives my kids to
want to be really good at what they do - & therein lies the motivation (hidden treasure!) to work hard.

(Strike) My youngest (12) has never worked so hard in her life at anything as she has at pitching! Initially she lacked coordination. If you'd seen her back then you might not have believed she could ever do it well no matter how hard or how long she tried! But for years she put in countless hours during the offseasons & endured lots of sore/iced shoulders - bc she believed she could do it - & three amazing coaches - Butch (who secretly didn't think she could do it), Jodi & her Daddy only encouraged her. And her/their investment has certainly paid off - in ways that Strike's proud of & I am too! And thru' it all she's gained a healthy sense of confidence that she was lacking every bit as much as the coordination she lacked in the beginning!


I think Playmaker (15) sometimes lacks motivation to strive for excellence bc what comes naturally is usually "good enough". But - now she's playing high school softball - & tho' she's never been a pitcher, she's now the
only pitcher - bc no one else is willing to be a pitcher! Long story short - it's been rough! Humbling. At times, humiliating! Physically demanding & painful! But - w/ the encouragment of her coach, teammates & family she's worked SO hard & her game is improving(!) - & I'm confident her character is too ... in part bc yesterday she did NOT want to go to school bc she did NOT(!) want to play in her game after school. I was not about to force her so I let her decide. In the end - & in tears - she could not bring herself to let her team down - & I think she pitched her best game yet!

Because the hard lessons & hard work ethic just come more naturally when my kids are competing - & since I'm such a softy when it comes to playing hardball ... I'm SO grateful for softball!

Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.
Romans 5:3

1 comment:

Randi Sue said...

For some reason, reading about this post choked me up. Maybe because I have 2 baseball players that are just starting out and I have experienced some of those same emotions. You must be so proud of them. I would be.

Our season is wrapping up this week. I am going to a baseball game tonight. Levi had his last game last night. He, too, has worked very hard to be as good as he is. He didn't start playing until he was 9, so he had a lot of catching up to do when he started. He is 10 now.