Friday, May 22, 2009

Are these the keys to success?


My husband & I were discussing our family's No TV for one month challenge - & how our youngest, who probably enjoys TV the most out of all of us, seems determined to succeed. Hmm...perhaps it's bc: - the choice was hers! We encouraged & discussed it w/ our kids & agreed to do it together (we did not force them to do it) - & - it's a challenge!- so it feels like a competition - which tends to bring out the best in my kids - esp when it comes to working hard to do something well. ( I wish(!!) they were more like this when it came to chores (but "here" the choice to do them or not - is not theirs to make) -& - some extra motivation in the reward at the end! If she's successful at not watching any TV for one month & not complaining about it one bit she'll have earned the remaining balance needed to purchase the IPOD Touch she's been saving up for.

"All of this" got me to thinking about my relationship w/ God...seems there's much controversy over predestination (He chose me) vs. Free Will (I chose Him) & salvation being gained by faith as opposed to doing good works (being "good enough"). I don't claim to have all the answers here by any means - all I know for sure is what I believe. But, I wonder.... Did God intentionally make these areas "gray" - as opposed to black & white - bc He knew that in our human nature we are more inclined to be successful if/when: - the choice is ours (or at least even to some degree we believe it is!) Acts 16:31 - & - it's challenging! I Corinthians 9:23-25 - & - there's some extra motivation in the reward at the end, if successful?
John 3:16

hmm. I wonder... are choice (freedom!), challenge & motivation (reward!) the keys to success?

No comments: