Friday, January 30, 2009

100 bucks, books & chores



When I was a kid my Dad gave me some medicine bottles (you know - the brown plastic prescription kind) to use as banks - & encouraged me to budget this way...church 10%, savings 45%, & spending 45% . The percentages didn't stick quite as well as the budgeting concept did. My parents also saved cash over time in an envelope to buy misc. things they wanted. The "envelope thing" didn't stick - but again, the budgeting concept did! With the exception of a house, I can hardly stand to buy anything...including a car(!) that I can't pay up front for.

Strike wants an IPOD Touch. Pricey! If she gets it, we'll expect her to take VERY good care of it - so - we've decided to help her earn it by giving her $1 for each chapter book she reads (recycled idea from our friends :) & $1 each for certain chores (in addition to others that are simply expected/required).

She's not a huge reader...tho' recently she's finally started reading books for her own enjoyment rather than b/c I push her & I want to encourage that spark that's taken so long to ignite. And I've seen how well she cares for/appreciates something she's purchased w/ her own money in the past so - given the expense/time/effort involved in this challenge, I'm confident she'll take good care of her IPOD if/when she finally gets it.

By requiring her to earn money & tithe, my hope is that the return on our investment will yield self discipline, fiscal responsibility, personal satisfaction from reaching a long term goal & ultimately - that making good choices & hard work will become more habitual for Strike in the whole process (ie. I hope these "stick!")

Truth be told, this challenge will likely be as challenging for me as it is for Strike - b/c I'm a product of the same instant gratification society (my parents spoiled me & hubby does too) that makes parenting (tough love/discipline) so difficult at times. So - if/when Strike reaches her goal - I'll likely be every bit as thrilled about it... as she is :)

1 comment:

Randi Sue said...

My Grace is saving for an ipod. I so much just want to give her the money, but I know that would not be the best for her.

I did give her some of the money that we saved on groceries this week, by not eating out. Because she made a sacrifice, too.