Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Time for the Kids

Our church has an evening service. - Smaller crowd - can't really even call it that :) - & so is more personal/"informal". I've become an unofficial back-up for a "Time for the Kids" segment - & WOW! - has this stretched me! You'd think it'd be easy to share a simple object lesson - or whatever (The man who does it regularly sure makes it look that way :) - but I feel an almost overwhelming sense of accountability speaking to them - & almost always I feel as if I coulda/shoulda done better! That's the part I don't like. But what I do like is:

- How at times, what I've prepared in advance ends up being an "illustration" of a message our Pastor shared that very day (so neat when that happens).

- Sharing what I'm learning along w/ our kids at home - w/ the kids at church. Figure if I'm "struck" by something that we've studied - perhaps they will be too -- & by sharing what I'm just now beginning to better understand, hopefully God will use me to give them a big head start.

- Involving my girls in sharing some of the lessons. Several things we've shared have actually been "polished up/dusted off" presentations the girls have already shared at a homeschool group activity.

- When the adults learn something too. I'm humbled at the thought of how much I've learned along with my girls -- so when adults who are listening in share something they didn't know before... somehow that just makes me feel better :)

Some things we've shared that come to mind are:

Character Portrayals/Book Reports w/a twist of drama (simple costumes/background music/visuals)

- Nan Harper - A little girl who traveled (survived) the Titanic w/ her father who was a preacher & perished.
- Sacagewea
- Priscilla Mullins - Mayflower Passenger/Plymoth Settler

History Lessons related to:

- George Washington - God's providence & sovereign protection over his life well before the American Revolution & his presidency - during a French & Indian War battle.

- Christopher Columbus - whose life choices seem to "illustrate" a pattern consistent thru'out History & The Bible - one of obedience to God reaping blessing/disobedience reaping discipline.

Science Lessons

- "Did you know?!" - re: Our Solar System

- Trees / Psalm 1

.....and I thought to begin sharing by posting some - if not all - of them here on my blog. By the time you read them, they'll likely be even more "polished" in hopes that they'll communicate even more clearly what The LORD laid on my heart to share at the time.

Hmmm - which one should I pick first?... Stay tuned :)


3 comments:

Ann said...

As one of those adults who hears those Kids Times lessons, I want to encourage you. Not only do you get up there and give a great lesson, you are being obedient to what God is asking you to do even when it's not so comfortable. You are an inspiration!

MYstory of HIStory said...

Hi Ann! So fun to "see you" here!! Your gift of encouragement was a sweet surprise to find wrapped in your first comment on my blog. Hugs & Thank you :)

Randi Sue said...

I want to come. If I lived closer, I would. That sounds like my kind of learning. I know my kids would love it, too. Keep being obedient. God blesses as we do what we know to do.