Thursday, August 21, 2008

She can think! - Therefore, I am ... successful?!

...as it turned out --- she didn't end up in Honors Math after all - but didn't even realize it until after class was well underway - apparently the same thing happened to another girl - ...oh well - She's still challenged so I'm not challenging it :)

It's official! Playmaker's going to Public High School/9th grade! We prayed on the way to meet w/ her guidance counselor yesterday & it was awesome to see how God allowed our time to unfold in such a way that she was able to meet various key staff (Head Principal, Music Teacher, Hockey Coach) she'll likely be interacting with over the next 4 yrs.

And here's some encouragement for my fellow homeschool moms: On her Achievement Testing she scored Post High School in several areas & above her grade level in several others. Even in her weakest area - which was Math - in Procedures she scored grade 7.9 - but in Problem Solving she scored Post High School --- By this & her other scores, her counselor deducted that she can think(!) & she ended up getting into all honors courses (including Math!) where that was an option.

The encouragement I've been leading up to is actually found in here: She's long been a self propelled student. I did not constantly micromanage her time & I stopped doing grade reports long ago & used standardized testing as our main gauge of her progress. In regards to her schoolwork, I've long been more interested/concerned that she was doing something rather than nothing & I gave her a great deal of freedom in that regard. So.... truth be told, her "grades" are
NOT to my credit (& here is where I hope you find some weight lifted off your shoulders) - but rather to hers! ... & to the (in my opinion) awesome curriculum we've been using ... & to the very nature of homeschooling - & even more fundamentally - in the freedom God has blessed us w/ to be able to homeschool ...legally, financially, etc.

In the "end"/now that she's chosen to go to public high school, I'm ok with that. I know that in the time she's been at home she's learned how to think/reason for herself & that she's been well equipped to make godly choices. She's learned how to accept or reject - rather than to simply accept all information as "true" (discernment!) ... & the signals I'm getting indicate we've raised a "producer" rather than a "consumer". I trust she'll contribute to society & to her various relationships in a positive, pro-active, give & take way - rather than simply taking all she can get at the expense of others.

I'll always be her mommy/she'll always be my little girl - but my responsibility is shifting a bit ...from being less of her "teacher" - to being more of her personal prayer warrior - praying, among other things, that she'll use her ability to make godly choices consistently ... b/c there are some things that it seems are just best learned by experience. However - I realize she may make some poor choices in that learning process - & so I also pray that, in that event, her daddy & I will then have the measure of compassion necessary to respond in such a way that she knows our love for her is unconditional - & to effectively & accurately mirror Christ's love for her consistently as well.

1 comment:

Randi Sue said...

So good to hear that, for you two and for me. I give my kids a lot of freedom about what they are doing, as long as they are being productive.