Wednesday, August 6, 2008

So many choices...

I'm getting ready to do something I haven't done in a long time...take Playmaker Back to School clothes shopping. She's been homeschooled since 3rd grade & will be a freshman in the Fall.

We allowed her to choose how/where she wanted to do/go to high school & were encouraged to see her working thru' it in a mature/methodical manner over several months.

My heart's desire is that our kids will ultimately & independently learn & choose to fully rely on God - & make their choices accordingly. Tho' some may disagree, it seems to me when there's not a clear cut "right or wrong", they/we have freedom in Christ to choose among sometimes various options & that sometimes the difference between a good decision & a bad one is the heart attitude (motive) & the measure of faith exercised in the choice.

Playmaker discussed this/her options w/ our Pastor & perhaps I'll summarize in another post sometime what he encouraged her to consider in this regard - in addition to being guided by prayer, obedience and conviction.

Giving Playmaker freedom to make this choice was a difficult decision in itself (& requires a great deal of faith on our part) - yet one primary goal behind "why we do what we do" is to teach & see our kids consistently make good (godly!) choices. - as that's essentially what life boils down to -- choices & consequences -- and ...based on my own experience, it seems learning to make godly/good choices is a lifelong process - so much of which is learned ... by experience.

Note: "all of this" causes me to consider the "why" behind why God created us w/ a free will/freedom to choose to believe/trust/obey Him - or not - rather than creating a bunch of robots instead. I wonder.... without the element of choice - would we be unable to enjoy a personal relationship w/ (love!) Him -- & vice versus? Given that both His Word & His Works "whisper & shout" relationship - I think I know the answer. Am curious what you think?

4 comments:

Rebeca said...

I'm sure it is hard to allow your kids to make choices, but I think it's wise. We're training them to be godly and wise adults, so to allow them to practice, so to speak, while still living with us seems like a good idea. Bless you!
And I like your idea about Sundays!

Randi Sue said...

Yes, I think God created us with choices so we could have a relationship with him. God's kingdom is all about realationships, as you have been saying.

Carrie Thompson said...

I agree. It is absolutely a motive thing. But as a question in response to my post, what if my motives for both time consuming thing is pure?

MYstory of HIStory said...

Hmm... Carrie, if you figure this out, hope you'll post about it :) - as there's certainly no shortage of "good" options out there vying for my limited supply of time :) In the meantime...whatever you do - do as unto The LORD ... & then I think it's safe to presume your time will be well spent :)