Sunday, February 14, 2010

How do you Guard your heart? (TROMS Pt 13)






Holley shared that when she learned that part of the Greek word for contentment means "to raise a wall against.", this verse came to mind:

"Above all else guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life [aka The source of your story]."
Proverbs 4:23

Prior to that she viewed contentment as a barrier that could block her dreams - but suddenly she saw it as just the opposite....protection for her heart...Like a lock on a little-girl diary, contentment keeps safe what matters most."


***


Q. Am I (Holley) the only one who struggles with contentment? What helps?


A.
At times I struggle w/ contentment, in the sense that I get bored easily - but it helps to count my blessings. It may sound trite - but it's true. When I shift my focus from what I want/wish/hope/long for - from bigger/better/faster/newer/shinier/etc. - to what I have & what I'm able to do, I tend to be shamed into asking myself - how in the world could I possibly want more?!

6But godliness with contentment is great gain.
7For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it.

I Timothy 6:6-7

No comments: