Saturday, November 14, 2009

Q. What's black & white & red all over?


A. The very first ever quilt I'm making.

I've had a change of plans ... Yesterday my friend/quilt coach ("A") & I went to the fabric store together. Who knew that place could swallow you up for hours on end?! By the time we left I had plan, a pattern & .... almost all new material! Those of you who are "sew" inclined....does this happen a lot?! Just curious bc it could get expensive.

Anyhow - here's my plan:

All the normal squares will alternate checkerboard style w/ the black calico & the french looking black & off white fabric. The fancy squares will be the red w/ black print. The arcs, dots & thin inside border will be teal. The outside wider boarder will be the black/off-white/red flower calico.

...& the back will be soft... rich... warm.... red flannel.

I'm "sew" excited to get started.... I've gotta wash & iron the fabric then Monday I'm planning to head over to A's house so she can help me measure & cut & then I should be off & runnin'.

On another note....this is what it looks like outside our window today.


A good day to bake some homemade cinnamon rolls, hunker down & get some of the more mundane chores done around the house. I'm actually looking forward to it. I love days like this.

Have a nice weekend!

4 comments:

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Yes, sometimes you will have your mind set on a quilt pattern and fabrics. Other times the pattern/fabric is "negotiable", replacing some as you have done.

I got caught in the rain just as I was going to Staples to make copies! Now I'm settled in for the day. I agree, it's a great day to bake something!

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

I was at Michaels the other day looking at quilting books...I don't have a sewing machine so I settled for a crochet hook and a skein of organic white cotton...

I am starting with the chain stitch....I really am enjoying it....your quilting project looks wonderful..LOVE the red flannel backing..so cozy..and I love that shot outside the window in the rain..so cozy...

I smell something in the oven....hmmmmmm

More later,
kary

Yiota said...

Hhhmmm! Crafty too I see!? Good luck with this project. I don't know a thing about quilting - well, except that I like cuddling in a quilt with a good book or film. :)

Courtney at SL's No Ennui said...

Love the colors in that to-be quilt!

AND, I love your window pane!