Sunday, January 3, 2010

Gifted Hands

My friend over at Embracing the Paradox recommended this movie & I enjoyed it very much. Perhaps what I liked most is that it's based on a true story....a story I'd like my own kids to aspire to - which is why I'm going to encourage them all to watch it before I return it :)



As a kid, Ben Carson faced much adversity growing up in a broken home amongst poverty and prejudice, poor grades & a bad temper - but despite all of that, his mom continually challenged him to rise above the low expectations society had of him & insisted that God had something better planned for him. Her faith in God, which Ben embraced, and her encouragement to read more, watch tv less, & to work hard drove him to become one of the world's leading neurosurgeons. "In the end" I gained some extra motivation to keep on challenging & encouraging my own children to work hard & attempt to make a positive difference in the world while they're at it!

2 comments:

Relyn Lawson said...

I'm sorry it has taken so long for me to get back to you. I usually blog at my other blog and just now visited my second blog and spotted your comment. Anyway, hello to you. Take care and happy new year.

Randi Sue said...

Glad you liked it!