Thursday, September 25, 2008

What's wrong w/ this Picture!?

Edit: Should clarify - I'm not certain of what I wrote below as it relates to birth control in high school ....haven't asked the right people the right questions myself. Spoke w/ my daughter after I posted this & she's not sure about the birth control prescription either - but said they do give out condoms. Hmm - they won't dispense over-the-counter Tylenol w/o a doctor's (not a parent's) written permission - but they'll give out condoms? Even putting aside associated moral & ethical concerns...which one do you think poses more potential risks? This is what happens when we let others think for us!? UGH - scary!

Even more frightening is the thought that a minor needs parental permission to get their ears pierced - but in some places , can secretly have an abortion w/o parental consent?!


This just boggles my mind....

My daughter - who's in public high school, wasn't feeling well at school ....wanted something (non-prescription/over the counter Tylenol or whatever) to relieve aches & pains --- & I had to bring it to her - which I was happy to do. Students are not allowed to carry it/take it as needed on their own. Could this be b/c of concern that students may not be mature enough to use it responsibly &/or may abuse it? In the future, if I want the school nurse to give it to her, I need to have a doctor's written consent form completed & on file. I can't write & sign the note myself.... - yet - ....from what I gather.... if a student ever decides she wants to begin taking birth control (a hormone altering prescription drug!), they'd give that to her w/o even seeking parental permission --- & would even go so far as to keep it a secret from the parents.

Does this make sense to anyone?!

No comments: