Monday, September 15, 2008

Sticks & Stones vs. Brooks & Stones

Sticks & stones may break my bones....but(!) ... brooks (God's Word) & stones (specific verses) will cleanse, refresh, encourage, empower (& the list goes on & on)!

Last night: heard a sermon re: David & Goliath. Tho' a familiar story, an interesting analogy was used -- one of God's Word being the brook (source of life giving sustenance, refreshment & cleansing, etc...) before us to reach into & pick out stones (specific verses) to use to defeat the "giants" in our lives. David picked five stones - but only one was used to "do the job".

This msg was timely - tho' I didn't realize how timely at the time. After talking w/ my girls after church/before bed, I realized both are learning so much more than they ever needed to know from peers (don't think "friends" is the appropriate noun here) ... Both are being robbed in ways that what's being taken can never be given back --- & it seems almost impossible to stop...short of "hiding" from it all. While it's tempting to hide-- I'm convinced it's not the right solution to the problem.

I can relate to them ...even on the level where common/everyday words are given new vulgar/profane definitions...that cause it to be so difficult to think purely let alone worship God. - In fact, I often feel cheated (robbed!) after attempting to worship God. I realize having a pure heart is what matters most -- but being bombarded w/ profanity makes it so hard to keep the mind/thoughts pure...and it can be so distracting.

This morning the thought occurred to me - to give my kids a "stone" (Bible verse) each morning to "carry" thru'out the day.... & from there, I chose five stones for myself today.
When I consider that God wants us to face our giants (NOT to avoid them at all costs!), it builds confidence to understand that He doesn't expect us to face them alone. I gather this b/c, it seems over time God has made it easier for believers to enjoy His presence continually -- as the Holy Spirit now indwells believers - b/c of Christ/The Savior's death/sacrifice on the cross - & in our obedience - in this case, as we face our giants - the Holy Spirit works thru' us to defeat them.


The 5 stones I chose for today:

1) Joshua 1:9 (NIV) "...Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."

2) Acts 4:31 (NIV) After they prayed, the place where they were meeting was shaken. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke the word of God boldly.

3) Ephesians 1:13 (NIV) And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession - to the the praise of his glory.

4) Romans 8:28 (NIV) And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

5) 2 Corinthians 12:9 (NIV) But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

2 comments:

Randi Sue said...

I love your writing. Such depth to it. About my favorite subject, our wonderful heavenly Father and the world He created for us. And I never thought of bible verses as stones, but it makes perfect sense. I think I am going to teach my kids that.

MYstory of HIStory said...

Wow - thank you for your sweet gift of encouragement here. I've enjoyed getting to know you - & look forward to getting to know you even better via your blog & comments :)