Saturday, December 14, 2013

mere coincidence or minute miracle?



 “Forever is composed of nows.” (Emily Dickenson is credited with penning those words l-o-ng before I put them here) - and because I tend to see things, especially The LORD’s hand in things, most clearly in hindsight - and that being a perspective we’re not privy to in the present, I’m so incredibly grateful for God’s Word/Record of HIStory since it affords the advantage of clear vision (They say hindsight is 20/20) to see "coincidence" upon "coincidence" all add up to so much more than one could ever reasonably attribute to mere coincidence!

This morning, In Day 12 of The Greatest Gift Advent devo by Ann Voskamp, I read a WoNdEr-full example of just such a “chapter” in HIStory regarding Ruth (the outsider grafted in) and Naomi. If you haven't yet, you really should read it! Here's just a brief excerpt of it from the NIV version of God's Word:

But Ruth replied, “Don’t urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. Ruth 1:16 (NIV)

And, in a nutshell, it goes kinda like this: Once upon a time w-a-a-y too many “just so happenends” happened to reasonably conclude in “the end” (which, by the way, is really STILL continuing!) that it all “just so happened!”

And when I contemplate how at least in so far as she was concerned, Ruth’s faith and obedience seemed to be critical components in the continual “coincidences” - Well … that’s a whole other story! But I’m kinda convicted actually - to pause here. Now. To ponder this ...

The next time I consider something to be rather “coincidental”, perhaps I should instead be compelled to reconsider that, in proper context, it very well may have been a minute miracle in an otherwise mundane moment! - And promptly ascribe credit (and praise and glory too!) to Whom All Credit (and Praise and Glory) Is Due.

No comments: