Saturday, December 14, 2013

let us slow, let us s-l-o-w, let u-s s-l-o-w

In Day 8 of The Greatest Gift, Ann Voskamp suggests that we profane Advent with fleshly performances, frantic pushing and futile preoccupations – and she shares this: “Profanity, writes Elisabeth Elliot, is “treating as meaningless that which is freighted with meaning. Treating as common that which is hallowed. Regarding as a mere triviality what is really a divine design. ...“” Tho’ Day 8 still seems timely to me, surely the fact that I’m behind is a sign, among others I’ve seen, that I should take some time to s-lo-w down so as not to miss Him in all the hustle and bustle of the holidays. And so - I’m declaring this Friday to be an official “Slow Day.” Tho’ I’m quite certain I’ll wake up feeling like I often do … that there's so much I could/would/should be doing, I’m determined to be so determined to not to do it all on that day. And instead, and assuming all goes according to plan, to CeLeBrAte by popping something simple for dinner into my slow cooker, enjoying a cyber "sabbath" of sorts, and planting myself at home sweet home in pajama pants … that being something I typically reserve for celebrating such things as official S*n.O*w Days - but that seems practically perfect for just such a time as this since I wouldn’t want to wear pajamas out in public! ; ) And .. You're invited! (No pressure tho') to my "Pajama Party." Hope you'll join me - by staying home, of course ; ) Tho’ it’s already on the fast track to becoming a new tradition, I’m so looking forward to setting aside my "could/would/should do lists" in order to celebrate my first ever official S-l-o-w Day - and all essentially in an attempt to train myself to refrain from profaning, in the mundane, that which Ann Voskamp so eloquently describes as "... the divine design of a day that unfolds with a grace that is not to be missed.” *** Genesis 28:16 (NIV) When Jacob awoke from his sleep, he thought, “Surely the Lord is in this place, and I was not aware of it.”

No comments: