Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Virtual Birth Announcement


Playmaker walked in the door Fri after school carrying an infant seat w/ a very cute baby (doll) that was hers - for the entire weekend. She named him Logan.

Now - This was not your typical doll - but rather a very high tech Child Development lesson in parenting & as close to real as it gets w/o being real! Logan weighed about 8 lbs...cried, slept & needed to be fed & changed much like a newborn. If he didn't get what he wanted when he wanted it, he cried LOUDER! Playmaker had a baby book she had to record in all weekend when he cried, how long it took to care for him & what activity it interrupted each time...which - true to form - was often sleep! She wore a wristband that essentially connected her to the baby for the whole weekend & she carried a bag w/ a bottle & baby supplies.

Altho' I was expecting this assignment, I can't tell you how taken aback I was when my "baby girl" walked in carrying that oh so real looking baby boy!! Yikes! Playmaker looked so grown up!!... & like she knew what she was doing! At first it was fun - & her friends who slept over tho't so too....but - by the time they left, I think they'd had enough! Baby Logan went to church w/ her, to a friend's house, to a hockey game ... all the while demanding her prompt attention off & on. By the end of the weekend ...& after being woken up several times each night... she actually broke down in tears of frustration....& I overheard her sounding oh so much like her own mother at times.

From Fri afternoon to Mon morning Baby Logan demanded her attention nearly 50 times!

Playmaker played "mommy" quite well - but I'm pleased to say she's in no hurry to have a real baby anytime soon!! I didn't particularly like the idea of being a grandmother at my age either....or loosing sleep b/c of a crying baby in the night --- but ---eventually I think I'd enjoy having grandchildren - so I hope she's not totally opposed to the idea of having children after all of this ...and when the time is right :)

2 comments:

Rebeca said...

Wow, it's come a long way since I was in high school! Then they made you carry around a five pound bag of flour, or an egg. Some people decorated theirs to look like babies. Glad you made it through!

Randi Sue said...

I've always wondered what impact the doll has on kids.